[arch-releng] Make RC images more public?

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Mon Aug 3 16:08:26 EDT 2009

On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 3:02 PM, Gerhard Brauer<gerbra at archlinux.de> wrote:
> Am Montag, den 03.08.2009, 14:11 -0500 schrieb Aaron Griffin:
>> On Sun, Aug 2, 2009 at 8:04 AM, Gerhard Brauer<gerbra at archlinux.de> wrote:
>> >
>> > Public testing may give uns more feedback than we have it with our
>> > alpha/beta images (which were very few...)
>>
>> Would you like a front page news item?
>
> No, that is overkill for RC images. We would like to make a test when
> announcing them on the bbs, maybe in "Announcements, Package and
> Security Advisories" (these don't get linkied all to the front page?).
> Or a similar forum?

That seems fine to me. Maybe send a mail to the arch-general list as
well? There are many users who don't use the forums and only use the
MLs (myself included)

> With a text like: for interested people who like to test the base things
> before end of week the final arrives. We won't like to hear that your
> machine could not boot with 2.6.30 kernels or virtualbox problems, but
> on any issue what you see in the install procedure (most with aif).
> Something like that.

How about:
We're looking for installation issues only, not issues with packages
themselves. If the ISO boots and installs exactly as expected, then
the testing is complete. Problems after the actual installation should
be reported to the bug tracker as normal, but should not be reported
to the Release Engineering team.