[arch-releng] New installation guide: translators, start your engines!

Dieter Plaetinck dieter at plaetinck.be
Thu Aug 6 13:42:54 EDT 2009

On Thu, 6 Aug 2009 11:01:37 -0500
Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 10:26 AM, Dieter Plaetinck<dieter at plaetinck.be> wrote:
> > On Thu, 6 Aug 2009 10:13:12 -0500 Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Hmmm I like the idea of having translated guides on the install disk.
> >> I mean, what happens if someone cant get on the network but still
> >> wants to install with the core CD. They wouldn't be able to read the
> >> installation guide
> >
> > They would still have the english one?
>
> Is this acceptable? I only speak english, so I'm not sure what kind of
> barrier this is. How common is it to have people who know zero english
> installing arch and need guidance?

My guess is that the amount of people who don't understand english reasonably well is 'quite' to 'very' small.
But of course that's not a reason to ignore them.
Maybe we should do a poll on AL.org or something?  "Is english-only documentation OK for you?"
"to measure is to know"..

But still, I think having a package that pulls various useful guides from one or more online resources (al.org wiki, al.de wiki,..) and puts it in a "arch-community-doc" package we can install on iso's would be quite useful.
If we put it in core then people can install it on their freshly installed system as well.
I really don't see much disadvantages here.