[arch-releng] New installation guide: translators, start your engines!

Roman Kyrylych roman.kyrylych at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 14:30:05 EDT 2009

On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 20:42, Dieter Plaetinck<dieter at plaetinck.be> wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Aug 2009 11:01:37 -0500
> Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com> wrote:

>> > They would still have the english one?
>>
>> Is this acceptable? I only speak english, so I'm not sure what kind of
>> barrier this is. How common is it to have people who know zero english
>> installing arch and need guidance?
>
> My guess is that the amount of people who don't understand english reasonably well is 'quite' to 'very' small.
> But of course that's not a reason to ignore them.

We still have installer in English only.

Honestly I don't think English-only official install guide on ISO is a problem.
Many people have internet connection at the time of installation,
most of those who don't have it understand English enough
to make sense of installer's English text.
Also people can read translated guides from the wiki
to get a basic idea of install process before booting from CD.
Anyway I don't remember any complaints about that in past years.

IMO it is enough to have official English-only install guide on ISO,
but have the installer translated.

--
Roman Kyrylych (Роман Кирилич)