[arch-releng] 2010.04.05 snapshots ready for testing

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Fri Apr 16 09:40:06 EDT 2010

Am 16.04.2010 15:29, schrieb Heiko Baums:
>> Well, a tool in netcfg for wireless configuration is necessary, but
>> AIF shouldn't treat wireless interfaces the same as wired interfaces.
>
> And what about people, who haven't got a wired internet connection but
> only a wireless one? They rely on the possibility to configure a
> wireless network connection during installation.
>
> Wireless tools probably don't need to be in the base group but it must
> be possible to install and configure them during installation and
> preferably in AIF.

All necessary tools are contained in the live environment, regardless of
them being in the base group or not.

> And consider that there are as far as I know different WLAN chips which
> need different drivers and tools.

No. wpa_supplicant covers all of them, except for very ancient and
broken drivers that can be considered "unsupported" anyway. Everything
should thus work fine with netcfg profiles - that's why I suggest a
netcfg profile generator that can be used from AIF.