[arch-releng] Package wishes

C Anthony Risinger anthony at xtfx.me
Tue Aug 23 12:31:04 EDT 2011

On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 11:06 AM, Thomas Bächler <thomas at archlinux.org> wrote:

> Although, we could make the point that
> 1) You can burn the image onto a DVD, which is not much more expensive
> than a CD nowadays.
> 2) Most people will put it on USB anyway.
>
> So the 700MB limit could possibly be dropped - what is everyone's
> opinion on that?

yes!  ... though i always use netinstall + local mirror ... but still :-)

none of my mobiles even *have* CDROMs.  my in-home server built ~3-5
years ago has two DVD burners ... i haven't used either one of them
ONCE ... so yes even 5 years ago CDROM was on the wayside.

to be fair i've hated CDs with a passion since the day i learned of
them -- absolute junk compared to hardy cartridge-like devices -- it's
as if they are designed to fail!  a self-preserving industry like
automobiles!  :-)

on a more serious note -- i just bought an 8GB class 4 microSD card
last night on clearance for $10 at a local department store with a USB
adaptor ... CD is dead dead dead.  put it to rest people!

--

C Anthony