[arch-releng] Package wishes

Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi vmlinuz386 at yahoo.com.ar
Tue Aug 23 19:46:06 EDT 2011

On 08/23/2011 01:06 PM, Thomas Bächler wrote:
> Am 23.08.2011 16:15, schrieb Alexander Rødseth:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I wish the following packages were included on the Live CD:
>> htop
> Not necessary, but as you pointed out, also quite small.
Neutral here.

>> iotop
> Sadly, as mentioned below, python adds>100MB to the environment
> (uncompressed), which we cannot afford.
Older Python 2. If it was Python3, the story would change slightly...
>   The current core-dual image is
> 673MB, and we'd like to keep that below 700MB for compatibility with CDs.
>
> Although, we could make the point that
> 1) You can burn the image onto a DVD, which is not much more expensive
> than a CD nowadays.
> 2) Most people will put it on USB anyway.
>
> So the 700MB limit could possibly be dropped - what is everyone's
> opinion on that?
Sooner or later, this limit will become obsolete. Anyway we are talking
about core-*dual*.iso

We are on 64 bit age, at least here in Buenos Aires is not easy to find
a "pure CD" new drive! All units are or DVD or BD.
And although it seems ridiculous, get a CD unit is more expensive than a
DVDunit. (Like with older memories).
Personally I do not use CDs in years!, DVDs rarely, all things goes in
pendrives, memory cards or usb disks.

>> gptfdisk
> Someone posted on this list that he is working on GPT support in AIF.
> This would require a decent gpt partition manager. Even without AIF
> support, this might be useful for people to set GPT up manually.
GPT disk can be done using parted that is already on releng images. Or
something is missing?

> In general, I'd give this a big +1, but I don't know the tools, so I
> have no idea if gptfdisk is the best choice.
>
>> nethack
> Although small, this seems superfluous.
flightgear -> flightgear-data will fit much better........... 5.2GB :P

--
Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi
The archiso guy.