[arch-releng] archiso rebuild

gt codered12 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 10:11:28 EST 2012

On Thu, Jan 05, 2012 at 11:09:16AM -0300, Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi wrote:
> If you talk about using existing ISO and rebuild them, the answer is no,
> at least not directly. You need to do things in manual way, and you need
> to understand how archiso works to unpack and re-create it.

I mainly want that the packages ./build.sh downloads, are retained in a
permanent cache. I am fine with rebuilding all the squashfs files, and
not reusing the existing iso.

>From what i see, after downloading and extracting the packages, build.sh
removes the packages from the pacman cache directory.

Alternatively, can it use the chroot environment's pacman cache?

> What profile are you using?
>
> are you talk about "source" root-image or "target" root-image
> (work/$arch/root-image)?

I am using releng, and i'm talking about source root-image.

> When you want to repeat some step (functions in build.sh(, must
> remove the corresponding "lock" file inside
> "work/$arch/build.FUNCNAME".

Will look into it, thanks.

> All customizations should go to build.sh:make_customize_root_image().

Thanks, this also answered another question in my mind, that where does
the arch user come from.

> I recommend to see how build.sh works from both profiles (baseline
> and releng). In baseline, this is the most simple way to build a new
> "archiso", second shows how official releng are build, customizing
> "root-image" and doing other things like splitting root-image.sfs,
> etc...

I am using the releng method, as specified on the wiki. Maybe the wiki
needs a bit of more detailed info.

Thanks for all the explanation.