[aur-dev] Remove category support

Hugo Osvaldo Barrera hugo at barrera.io
Fri Feb 27 13:04:47 UTC 2015

On 2015-02-27 12:45, Dustin Falgout wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've seen mention of removing the categories from the AUR several times in
> > aur-general, and someone mentioned that, while they serve no real purpose,
> > nobody has sent patches either.
> >

> I'm not sure if it has been mentioned before, so I thought I would put it
> out there. The reason the current categories are not used is because they
> suck (for lack of a better term). The current categories are too limited
> and are not well suited for organizing today's packages. If the categories
> were updated (renamed) I think many people would use them. I know that I
> would!
>
> Best Regards,
> Dustin Falgout

Now that we have a patch to remove then, I guess it's time to decide if we'll
remove them, or rename them once and for all.

IMHO, renaming them won't solve all of the issues. There's too many things that
are ambiguous, but I'm willing to see a sample of suggested categories.

Cheers,

--
Hugo Osvaldo Barrera