[aur-dev] [RFC v3] Add comment edit icon and form

Lukas Fleischer lfleischer at archlinux.org
Wed Jul 8 05:21:53 UTC 2015

On Wed, 08 Jul 2015 at 05:20:49, Marcel Korpel wrote:
> * Loui Chang <louipc.ist at gmail.com> (Tue, 7 Jul 2015 22:09:54 -0400):
> > Oh Lord. Please no more icons or javascripts.
>
> Why? Would a link labeled 'Edit' suffice? Should we also get rid of the
> comment deletion icon? Or should the icons be less distractive?

I am actually fine with the icons. Less distractive versions would be
nice, though. Maybe something monochrome that fits to our color scheme?
If we decide to do that, the deletion icons should be replaced first in
a preparatory patch.

Of course, we should also make use of the alt attribute, such that
things work properly when images cannot be displayed.

> And what's the problem with JavaScript? Maintainability? This would be a
> great feature to progressively enhance: just look at the comment edit
> feature of Stack Overflow and the like, if you're accustomed with it. I
> think it gives a great user experience. I also really like the type-
> ahead suggest we implemented on the front pages.

I am not against using JavaScript, as long as two rules are fulfilled:

1. Everything needs to work without JavaScript. User experience still
   needs to be "good" (although not necessarily as "good" as with
   JavaScript, of course).

2. The maintenance burden must be very low. No piles of JavaScript in
   our code base.