[aur-general] [Help] Vegastrike

Alessio Bolognino themolok.ml at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 09:02:04 EDT 2008

On Sun 2008-04-27 18:14 , Uwe Vogt wrote:
> I like to build the packages for the Game Vegastrike
> http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/
>
> I am not shure now how I will do it. I need some ideas.
>
> Option No. 1 I build one package all in one from
> http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/
> Option No. 2 I build 3 packages  "vegastrike", "vegastrike-data" and
> "vegastrike-music" build from Ubuntu's deb packages.
>
> Why I am asking is, I am in doubt with using ubuntu's deb packages and the
> download size from Vega Strike 0.5.0 is 488 Megabytes. With a fast Internet
> it will be no problem, but many people still using slower dialup or DSL.

If I didn't misunderstand, the sources are very big, so you are not sure if it
would be better to build the package from the sources or from ubuntu's packages,
right?

Well, you can write two PKGBUILD: one "vegastrike" that builds from the sources,
and one "vegastrike-bin" that uses ubuntu's (or whatever) packages. To extract a
.deb there is deb2targz in [community]. There is no guideline (I think) about
this, but in the AUR you can see a lot of examples, just search for "-bin".

About the splitting of the package (vegastrike-{,-data,music}), we are usually
against it. It is true anyway that vegastrike-music is not really needed (that's
what ubuntu's package description says). While it stays in the AUR, it is not a
problem because there is not pre-compiled package and users can easily comment
out the part of the PKGBUILD that downloads/installs the music if the want to.

> It is something what I don't like about AUR, that we only provide PKGBUILD
> and not the packages.

That's for security reasons (but probably you already know that); many users
have a personal repo, you can create your own too or ask one of them to build
vegastrike. There is also [community], that provides "the best of the AUR" :)

Cheers,

--
Alessio (molok) Bolognino

Please send personal email to themolok at gmail.com

Public Key http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xFE0270FB
GPG Key ID = 1024D / FE0270FB 2007-04-11
Key Fingerprint = 9AF8 9011 F271 450D 59CF  2D7D 96C9 8F2A FE02 70FB