[aur-general] Someone hug sergej

w9ya w9ya at qrparci.net
Wed Dec 3 01:31:46 EST 2008

Okay Greg a few easy questions I am happy to answer for you;

- Um, the freedom of the AUR is because of the freedom in the entire TU
system (aur is a part of it). If you remove some freedom from one, then you
risk the same freedom in the other. That *IS* human nature and the way
things tend to work. So I wil ask you to please explain how making the
community repo "more official" will help you ? Please be specific as I am
just not following you at the moment. I do not see what is broken.

- I am not unhappy with ANYONE's commitment or how much they are getting
done. But I do take seriously some of the outbursts about who is doing what
AND making the TUs more responsive to the aurvotes and so forth. NO ONE
should have to listen to such things when it is so simple to become a TU and
spend time on a packaging solution. I hope you understand that I do not
expect you or anyone to do ANYTHING but use archlinux and interact when you
have a problem of some sort. So, yeah I am fine with you. And you have not
called me names and even more ugly things.

IN FACT, if someone like you wrote me privately and asked me to consider
helping them with THEIR PKGBUILD I have been known to do so. Arch_assistant
is one such PKGBUILD I have helped people with. Having a lot of TUs around
can be very helpful for this kind of thing. Will making the TU system more
"official" (and I *assume* you mean more like the discussions and so forth
the devs do concerning what goes into their repos) help or hurt those
seeking help with their PKGBUILDS and seeking attention in getting their
PKGBUILDs into the repo ? Will more or less people become Tus. Has anyone
proposing these changes even bothered to ask these questions publicly ? And
yes the likely answers DO matter. Even for the things you are concerned
about.

I decided to pick up the google-earth one because it had become a problem. I
had some issues getting it to install and work here. So I took it over,
politely btw when those who's work it was were NOT willing (or able ?) to
continue with it on their own. (In any event I asked and through the course
of my asking it was turned over to me.) THE POINT ? Lately I have been
spending my time fighting this proposal. And having to spend time away from
PKGBUILDs and attending to new matters like asking permission to add things
to the repo will mean less of my time for the real work.

- Yes users are ALWAYS VERY IMPORTANT, including the ones that do NOT vote.
The problem is that a user has to understand enough about archlinux to get
ahold of aurvotes and yaourt and manage to install them, and we forget how
hard this process can be compared to simply installing it and using the
binary repos. The ham radio community seeks solutions to problems adn quite
frankly arch is a good solution, but asking them to vote and so forth is NOT
a good solution to seeing their use represented as it is quite a bit of
additional work to just vote on something. Heck most of the users of arch
are not even registered users, let alone voters.

-  I have been a steady user of arch linux since it's inception. If Judd V.
has stopped using it, I am now the longest continuous user of it I know of.
I have never stopped. As I mentioned earlier, TUs are not restricted to
perform ANY output and are allowed to "go on hiatus". I had some medical
issues that prevented me from a more active participation during the time
period you mention. I am happy to be alive and able to walk now as well as
contribute as I can..

- As far as the developers having a say in this. Heck they can say the deal
is off and it is time to kill the TU experiment. I am actually o.k. with
that, as it would be intellectually honest. Instead we are asking for the
dope on what is wrong and in the past two days have found out it was NOT the
immediate need of a resources problem we were told it was. In fact we found
out essentially the opposite. No problems there. We are also being told
about future fixes in store with NO indication of what they might be and
what they are. I am concerned because I understand human nature. I make my
living predicting short and long term effects of policy decisions. And I
make a **good** living at it. And this failure to disclose what the devs are
contemplating and telling us will be in our future is sad. More especially
since the TU system is NOT theirs to do so with. If it was the rest of the
distro, I would not complain about these last few weeks because it would not
be my place to complain about their repo.

I hope you understand better now. And I will let you in on a small secret.
Since it appears that (some of) the devs are asking the TUs to make this
decision, and without any demonstrated problem or any demonstrated
statistics to back up this so-called need; I will not likely spend any more
time worrying about what happens. I should probably stay and fight this
silliness, but in the end if the devs really want this unique TU experiment
to become their toy, I will gladly let them have it. I will simply quit
worrying about something that they will destroy it the process of "making it
more official".

And yes, the prime movers in this proposal ARE the devs. You allude to that,
and you are right.

Regards;

Bob Finch