[aur-general] license issues with google-earth in [community]?

Simo Leone simo at archlinux.org
Mon Feb 18 17:51:00 EST 2008

On Mon, Feb 18, 2008 at 04:43:44PM -0600, Aaron Griffin wrote:
> On Feb 18, 2008 4:13 PM,  <w9ya at qrparci.net> wrote:
> > 1 - How does one get this "restored" to the AUR (unsupported) as opposed
> > to merely re-tagging it into the community repo ? I ask this because I am
> > NOT sure how things are either done *OR* laid out. (As far as I can
> > determine, from this location, things are not stored the same. More
> > importantly since I cannot get to this package from the AUR web interface
> > it is not clear to me how a restore other than starting over is to take
> > place.)
>
> Community and the AUR are two separate entities, which happen to work
> together. One would assume it's fairly trivial to checkout a directory
> from CVS, and create a tarball from it to upload to the AUR exactly as
> one would submit a package normally. It is impossible to "restore" it
> because it was completely removed from the AUR when you moved it to
> the community repo.
>
> > 2 - Will a procedure you provide me restore the 250 some odd votes this
> > package received ?
>
> Not possible. As I said, the votes were lost when the package was
> removed from the AUR by the simple fact of it moving to community.

Actually, the AUR is relatively good at moving packages from unsupported
to community. If a new package appears in CVS, it checks to see if it
was already in unsupported, if it was, it preserves data such as package
ID, and number of Votes, while clearing fields like the maintainer, and
updating the repo location to communty. [1]

However, the other direction, that is community to unsupported,
currently destroys package data in the database.

-S

[1] http://projects.archlinux.org/git/?p=aur.git;a=blob;f=tupkg/update/tupkgupdate;h=a047d68f5612be9c15f62877e539b657645111bf;hb=HEAD#l119