[aur-general] Should TU put in [community] packages they use?

Ronald van Haren pressh at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 09:01:14 EST 2008

On Jan 18, 2008 2:50 PM, bardo <ilbardo at gmail.com> wrote:
> This came to my mind reading the discussion about Sergej, but after
> some thinking I couldn't make up a clear opinion about it, so this
> thread just brings up the question.
>
> There's a few packages I maintain in unsupported that almost nobody
> voted, so I never moved them to [community]. But what if I use them in
> my daily activities? I'm interested in having an up-to-date package,
> so I'd maintain, build and test it anyway... should I share it with
> its (small) user base?
>

> Corrado

In my opinion you should leave these packages in unsupported. Sure it
it great for the small userbase the package may have to get updates
via community, but at one point you, or any other TU may leave, giving
the rest of the TUs not much options than to put these packages in
unsupported (I can imagine it are quite a number of packages for all
TUs together).

Now the small userbase which did use this package is assuming
automatic updates because 'it is in community', which is not the case
anymore, leaving the package in unsupported for a long time without
being adopted/updated by someone (and the users using an outdated
community build).

For more popular packages this would obviously not be the case because
there will probably always be someone noticing that a new version is
released, and when the user wants to flag it out of date he notices it
is orphaned and adopts it.