[aur-general] perl 5.10.0 coming soon

Firmicus Firmicus at gmx.net
Wed Mar 19 03:43:43 EDT 2008

Firmicus a écrit :

> Hello all,
>
> this message is primarily adressed at the few TUs who maintain perl
> packages in community (namely Sergej, Allan and bardo), but should
> also be read by everyone else contributing perl packages to AUR as well.
>
> perl 5.10.0 – currently in testing – will soon be moved to core. Since
> this release implements a new "Perl Policy", there are some important
> changes in packaging that should be noted. Also, all packages that
> provide compiled libraries or that embed their own perl engine must be
> recompiled. Even better is to update ALL perl packages according to
> the new path scheme.
>
> See http://ankabut.net/archlinux/perlcommunity/PKGBUILD-perl.proto for
> the new and simpler way to package perl stuff.
>
> Since I had to do the job for my packages anyway, it was equally easy
> for me to update all PKGBUILDs at once. So Sergej, Allan and bardo can
> grab their new PKGBUILDs from
>
> http://ankabut.net/archlinux/perlcommunity/sergej.zip
> http://ankabut.net/archlinux/perlcommunity/allan.zip
> http://ankabut.net/archlinux/perlcommunity/bardo.zip
>
> Note that these contain only the packages in lib. There are a few more
> that I have not touched:
>
> devel/svk
> devel/perl6-pugs
> games/hearse
> multimedia/freewrl
> multimedia/xmltv
> network/pppusage
>
> These are left as an exercise to their respective maintainers ;)
>
> Be sure to backup your old PKGBUILDs and to check carefully those I
> made (especially the depends array). Kevin – the perl maintainer – is
> going to notify us when he moves perl from testing to core. Then we
> should get busy building the packages and uploading them to the repo :)
>
> Have fun,
> Firmicus

This is again mostly for Sergej, Allan and Bardo (but also of interest
to all perl packagers).

There's one more thing I forgot to mention ...

Perl's new install blurb will show you this:

   These community packages are also included in the standard perl library:
    perl-archive-extract  perl-cpanplus  perl-digest-sha  perl-file-fetch
    perl-extutils-parsexs  perl-ipc-cmd  perl-locale-maketext-simple
    perl-log-message  perl-log-message-simple  perl-module-corelist
    perl-module-load  perl-module-load-conditional  perl-module-loaded
    perl-module-pluggable  perl-object-accessor  perl-params-check
    perl-term-ui  perl-time-piece

which means that if you currently maintain one or more of the above
packages, there is no need to update them, as these modules are now part
of the core perl library. You can even remove them from community.
However, and this is an advantage of the new "Perl Policy", if you feel
important to update one of the core modules to a more recent version on
CPAN than the one provided with perl, then it is now perfectly possible
to do so. Core modules are in the core_perl directories, while those
installed by other arch packages go under vendor_perl, which has higher
priority.

Best,