[aur-general] perl 5.10.0 coming soon

bardo ilbardo at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 04:43:51 EDT 2008

On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 11:27 PM, Firmicus <Firmicus at gmx.net> wrote:
>  this message is primarily adressed at the few TUs who maintain perl
>  packages in community (namely Sergej, Allan and bardo), but should also
>  be read by everyone else contributing perl packages to AUR as well.
>  [...]

Thank you very much for your work. I actually have a test build on my
machine, but I never gave it very much love because I had higher
priority tasks to take care of. I've been pretty busy until today, but
tomorrow I should (hopefully!) be able to update && test my packages
locally.

On the other hand, looking at all the critical updates in [testing] in
the last weeks, I've been feeling a growing need for a
[community-testing] repo. This has been discussed many times, and if I
understood correctly there's a serious intention to deploy it,
someday.
As a TU and Flyspray contributor, all my physical machines run
[testing], and I build my [community] packages on a vanilla
installation under virtualbox, but as an Arch user my software often
breaks and I have to rebuild it by myself. Being the user with the
most installed packages (1760) in archstats, you can understand how
this is becoming a big task for me.

We often have some heavy update under the hood. At the moment, if I
don't forget anything, we have three big transitions going on: perl
(which has been there for a while, so after the initial shock almost
everything is ok), libtool and gcc (but if I got it right it should be
a rather "light" update). Being able to test my (and other's) packages
with the forthcoming software without having to rebuild the world
would be great, and would really boost [community]'s quality, IMHO.

Is there any official roadmap to [community-testing]? If the answer is
"no, and you'll never see it", then all good for me, I'll find a way
to set up one somewhere and encourage current TUs to use it.

Corrado