[aur-general] Keeping community64 up to date

Abhishek Dasgupta abhidg at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 09:57:21 EDT 2008

On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 7:07 PM, olivier bordes <olivier at obordes.com> wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
>  I am new to this list, so excuse me if I ask stupid questions.
>  I own a 64 bits machine, and feel that could help more on this 64 bits subject.
>
>  Several times, I had to  install 64 bits packages which were not 64bits ready.
>  I had to change the PKGBUILD to make it work (and sometimes more).
>  It was fine for me, however the package was not updated for others.
>  I have not found any way to make  it available for others, except than to add
>  a note to the package in AUR.
>
>  But it is not very efficient. Package maintainer may not read it or
>  may not be available, etc...
>
>  As currently I am not TU, I wonder if there is any other way to further help on this.
>  Your proposal Allan seems good to fit this needs, provided that non TU are allowed to update it.
>  But still, you would have to update manually the PKGBUILD for the archictecture supported.
>  How to do this when you are not the maintainer ?
>
>  my64

I think a better way would be as Allan suggested. There is no mechanism
in place for a non-TU to upload packages to [community], let alone
change the PKGBUILD.

I think this synchronization would be made better if there is something
to nag us always :) Maybe another ML (aur-community-sync) which would
contain autonotifications about packages out of sync (with a certain
threshold period of say 2-3 days) and we could easily see which ones
were out of date. Any TU who would want to sync a particular package
would reply to the [out-of-date] autonotification email, and that way
we would know that there's someone taking care of it. A wiki would also
do for the time being, though that has the disadvantage of non-automation.

Another way to do this thing is to go through the list, checking which
packages are i686 only or not (there was a post on this in the ML recently)
Flag them + lib32* them and for the rest, feed the AUR community folder
into a program which will start building packages for x86_64 (it is almost
always x86_64 which lags behind). A kind of a build daemon; a web
interface to see which packages have been built, and we can sync from that,
test if it's working and then mark it for uploading to [community]. This
is a bit far-fetched though :)

We can always start with the wiki.

- A