[aur-general] TU request

Ghost ghost1227 at inbox.com
Wed Oct 22 07:36:26 EDT 2008

Edward Tjörnhammar wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Oct 2008, Loui wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 10:28:41PM +0200, Edward Tjörnhammar wrote:
>>>   I recently contributed a package 'inn' which I intend to continue
>>> working on. The package was added to [community] so I will continue
>>> with
>>> as inn-orig in AUR, user xhemi. If I were to become TU I believe that I
>>> can help to improve any number of packages in need of love but would
>>> continue with 'inn'. My sponsor is Sergej Pupykin.
>>
>> Hey Edward. I'm curious why you are maintaining a package in unsupported
>> that also appears in [community]? Is there a particular difference
>> between
>> inn and inn-orig?
>>

> Hello and sorry for the slow reply!
>
> The back story is that i wanted a usenet service except leafnode. This
> was the only supported server at that time, so I decided to contribute
> 'inn' to AUR. Sergej must have thought that it was a nice compilation
> since he moved it to [community] with 0 votes. This however stopped me
> from working on it.. So after having contacted Sergej, I decided to
> upload another package and apply for TU, since both would allow me to
> continue to work.. The problem back then was that certain combinations
> of configure flags would break the build which I knew was very near a
> resolve. The package was only semi-functional but, at least, working.
>
> When I, today, tested his build it works like a charm, so there is no
> need for 'inn-orig'. In the end I haven't had the time to do any
> additional work on the package.
>
> I will get back to you guys once more when I've had the time to review
> the packaging guidelines and beautify the remaining builds.
>
> As a side note and discussion topic for you guys, I think that a TU
> should not just move a package without any votes and that the TU
> should contact the current owner before moving it.
>
> /e
I would agree that moving a package without any votes or contacting the
contributor is probably not a good idea... if a package is immensely
popular and the owner is unable to be contacted then by all means, move
it without the contributors knowledge, however, it would be polite to at
least attempt contact in any circumstance.

Ghost1227