[aur-general] Package voting alternatives

Jeff Horelick jdhore1 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 27 02:37:37 EST 2009

My problem with voting is that stuff like...Say i use one of the
firefox-like packages in the AUR (swiftfox, swiftweasel, firefox-beta, what
have you) and I vote for it, but then I switch to Chrome/Chromium. It's
unlikely that i'll ever remember to un-vote when i switch which would skew
the popularity/vote rating for the firefox package. Perhaps the fix for that
is to reset the votes on all packages every 6 months or something?

As far as actual voting though, i think be best option might be a sliding
vote scale, possibly like the vote at the Vim website for Vim scripts. Offer
3 "vote options" like: "Great package." "Meh." "Rubbish." and that'll likely
give the best idea of package usage/quality.