[aur-general] TU application: Laszlo Papp

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Fri Jul 31 20:37:53 EDT 2009

Daniel J Griffiths wrote:
> Stefan Husmann wrote:
>> Biru Ionut wrote
>>>
>>> not many days ago you asked be if is frustrating to have 300
>>> packages in comparative with the number of packages that some TUs
>>> have. i see that you got now only 78 packages. Can i asked you why
>>> did you got rid of the rest? you picked up only the good ones?
>>>
>>> http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?O=0&K=vim&do_Orphans=Orphans&detail=1&L=0&C=0&SeB=nd&SB=n&SO=a&PP=25
>>>

>> Hello Birot,
>>
>> of course you may ask any question but can you please explain why you
>> think the packages Laszlo orphaned are worse than the packageges he
>> kept?
>>
>> IMHO reconsidering priorities is a right every user has, TU or not.
>> Regards, Stefan
>>
> I don't think the issue was that the orphaned packages were worse per
> se, I think the issue was that recently he had been bragging about how
> he had more packages than most TUs/Devs as if it was a status thing,
> and putting down some of us for it... Now all of a sudden he dumps the
> majority of his packages. Just seems a bit hypocritical.

My guess is that it is because we tend to associate huge numbers of
packages with not enough time to maintain them and thus lower quality
(something I had discussed with him earlier).  So I believe this to be
more of an optimizing the changes of being a TU rather than a
reassessment of priorities.  Orphaning the several hundred vim
plugins/themes only a couple of weeks after putting them there is a bit
weird.

I don't vote on TU matters anymore, but I will put this out there.  The
recent spike in Laszlo's activities leads me to be concerned about
longevity and some accuracy in his original application.  He claims to
be using Arch for ~1 1/2 years.  But it was only two moths ago I saw him
on IRC asking some fairly basic questions about pacman features and what
was the equivalent to doing some emerge (Gentoo) operations.  Two months
also corresponds to his here registered on the forums.  That concerns
me, but I could be entirely wrong here.

Allan