[aur-general] Removing comments from AUR

Gergely Imreh imrehg at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 23:09:17 EDT 2009

2009/6/25 Grigorios Bouzakis <grbzks at gmail.com>:
> On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 1:58 AM, Loui Chang <louipc.ist at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wed 24 Jun 2009 23:53 +0200, Ronald van Haren wrote:
>> > why not allow the maintainers in unsupported to delete comments for their
>> > packages, I don't think it will be too much misused? I remove from time
>> > time the crap out of the comments in my community/aur packages  so only
>> the
>> > more relevant things stay (if there are any).
>>
>> Yeah I think this idea is best out of the lot.
>>

> Yeah it is a nice idea, only i dont think people are gonna spend time
> deleting comments.
>
> Usually when a somewhat popular package gets uploaded theres a lot of
> discussion about
> how to do this & that etc. Then when the script reaches a fairly satisfying
> point of decency
> discussion stops. & then you mostly see comments like "1.2 is out" or
> complete build scripts
> or patches posted etc.
> See for example http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=24266
>
> IMO its better that the first, and more important part of the discussion to
> be done on the mailing
> list, this way people who dont use the package can help.
> People can also get familiar with the package that way.
> Then email the maintainer directly.

Hi,

  I think there are way larger number of people maintaining packages
in the "unsupported" than how many people are on this mailing list.

  In "unsupported" I don't agree with removing comments, or even
deleting them for that matter. This is because the comments provide
invaluable resource for information in one place.
  Adopted a neglected package that is way out of date? Look among the
comments and more likely than not someone already did some
modifications that made it work but didn't want to adopt the package.
That would be a pain to find (even if you want to look for it) in a
mailing list. And if the mail goes only to the developer, then it's
all gone when they ignore it.
  Or bugs? How many "unsupported" maintainer would read the bug
tracker to look for their own packages if someone filed a bug? Place a
comment, and it's in one place, even get a notification. There's a
reason why packages are in "unsupported" and not higher up.... I think
the current "notify" and "flag" buttons are adequate for the most
"hobby maintainers".

  For "community", that's of course a different matter, just get rid
of comments and force people to file bugs. Maybe that will improve the
standards in the "unsupported" as well.....

   Cheers,
      Greg