[aur-general] Removing comments from AUR

Grigorios Bouzakis grbzks at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 02:54:07 EDT 2009

On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 6:09 AM, Gergely Imreh <imrehg at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2009/6/25 Grigorios Bouzakis <grbzks at gmail.com>:
> > On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 1:58 AM, Loui Chang <louipc.ist at gmail.com>
> wrote:

> their
> time
> only
> >> the
> >>
> >> Yeah I think this idea is best out of the lot.
> >>

> > Yeah it is a nice idea, only i dont think people are gonna spend time
> > deleting comments.
> >
> > Usually when a somewhat popular package gets uploaded theres a lot of
> > discussion about
> > how to do this & that etc. Then when the script reaches a fairly
> satisfying
> > point of decency
> > discussion stops. & then you mostly see comments like "1.2 is out" or
> > complete build scripts
> > or patches posted etc.
> > See for example http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=24266
> >
> > IMO its better that the first, and more important part of the discussion
> > be done on the mailing
> > list, this way people who dont use the package can help.
> > People can also get familiar with the package that way.
> > Then email the maintainer directly.
> >

> Hi,
>
>  I think there are way larger number of people maintaining packages
> in the "unsupported" than how many people are on this mailing list.

Thats true. The discussion could also be moved to the bbs, I guess more
people visit that.

>  In "unsupported" I don't agree with removing comments, or even
> deleting them for that matter. This is because the comments provide
> invaluable resource for information in one place.
>  Adopted a neglected package that is way out of date? Look among the
> comments and more likely than not someone already did some
> modifications that made it work but didn't want to adopt the package.
> That would be a pain to find (even if you want to look for it) in a
> mailing list. And if the mail goes only to the developer, then it's
> all gone when they ignore it.

Then he/she should adopt the package and fix the script. Or contact the
maintainer
to fix it instead.
Not post a comment. The AUR is not of forum, but in many cases it resembles
one.

>  Or bugs? How many "unsupported" maintainer would read the bug
> tracker to look for their own packages if someone filed a bug? Place a
> comment, and it's in one place, even get a notification.

I am not suggesting that.

> There's a
> reason why packages are in "unsupported" and not higher up.... I think
> the current "notify" and "flag" buttons are adequate for the most
> "hobby maintainers".

I dont know what reason you are reffering to, i can only guess you are
talking
about the quality of the scripts.
Well for what its worth, application developers seem to be agree
with you.
But dont forget that unsupported currecntly has 15000 scripts, Lets say that
10000 of
them are unique. That is still 2,5 times more than the size of all binary
repositories together.

--
Greg