[aur-general] Deletion request

Xyne xyne at archlinux.ca
Sun Nov 8 23:20:24 EST 2009

Chris Brannon wrote:

> Laszlo Papp wrote:
> > Hello TUs,
> >
> > The next two packages are with the same application in AUR, I don't
> > know which one is worth to delete, maybe I prefer lua-expat name to
> > luaexpat.
> >
> > luaexpat:
> > http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=13509
> >
> > lua-expat:
> > http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=21939
>
> Laszlo,
> I prefer the lua-expat name as well, but ...
> 1. luaexpat is the package under active maintenance.
> (lua-expat hasn't been updated since Dec 3, 2008).
> 2. luaexpat is required by all the prosody packages, whereas lua-expat
> is only required by lua-gtk.
>
> Since you maintain lua-gtk, could you please change the dependency
> from lua-expat to luaexpat?
> Once that is done, I'll go ahead and delete lua-expat.
>
> Regards,
> -- Chris

General question: If someone were willing to follow through with it,
would it be better to enforce the naming guidelines and modify the
affected packages, or does it simply not matter? It seems unfortunate
that "non-standard" names can get locked in this way.

In this case, there are only 3 prosody packages between 2 maintainers.

Regards,
Xyne