[aur-general] Please disown haskell-{funcmp, hopenssl, hsdns, hsemail, hsyslog}

Peter Simons simons at cryp.to
Wed Aug 11 10:04:33 EDT 2010

Hi Evangelos,

 > I can see that three out of the five packages you list were last
 > updated in May and are no longer marked out-of-date. This means that
 > for those three packages at least, there's no reason for disowning.

right, the ones that are still out-of-date (and have been for 4 months) are:

  haskell-funcmp        http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=18122
  haskell-hsdns         http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=17745

The other three packages I mentioned have been updated. Still, it's
interesting to compare the times of the update on Hackage and on AUR:

  haskell-hopenssl      http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=17743

    Updated on Hackage:          2 Mar 2010
    Updated on AUR:             22 May 2010

  haskell-hsemail       http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=17746

    Updated on Hackage:         25 Mar 2010
    Updated on AUR:             30 May 2010

  haskell-hsyslog       http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=17751

    Updated on Hackage:         26 Feb 2010
    Updated on AUR:             22 May 2010

This looks to me like the minimum time frame in which an AUR package
gets updated by Don Stewart is 2 months or more. I don't think that's
particularly impressive. IMHO, the Arch Linux team should re-consider
whether it's a wise choice to grant one person a monopoly on all
Haskell-related packages on AUR.

 > Also, you mention that you were referred to the Arch-Haskell mailing
 > list. If you posted there, can you provide a link to your opening
 > message? I'd be interested to see what replies you got.

At <http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/arch-haskell/2010-May/thread.html>,
you can see the thread "Can I help to maintain Haskell packages on
AUR?", which consists of the replies I got. My original messages was
this one:

 | From: Peter Simons <simons at cryp.to>
 | Subject: Can I help to maintain Haskell packages on AUR?
 | To: Don Stewart <dons at galois.com>
 | Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 18:35:49 +0200
 |
 | Hi Don,
 |
 | the AUR packages haskell-{hsdns,hsemail,funcmp} are out-of-date for quite a
 | while now. According to gour, the reason is that the ArchHaskell team lacks
 | developers to perform the updates.
 |
 | I would be happy to contribute some time and effort to the project. Can I help
 | in some way?
 |
 | Take care,
 | Peter

Don told me to "stay tuned", but nothing happened.

 > I apologize if your requests seem to go unfulfilled, but --to me at
 > least-- the situation with arch-haskell and the AUR is a bit unclear,
 > so I'm not sure what action should be taken.

Well, when a Haskell package is obviously out-of-date on AUR and someone
offers to take over maintenance, then disown it and let that person
handle the package. That's the way it's done for everything else, and
the procedure seems to work fine. It's a mystery to me why the ArchLinux
team deviated from that procedure for Haskell packages in the first
place.

Take care,
Peter