[aur-general] Shall I move mplayer-vaapi to [community]?

Evangelos Foutras foutrelis at gmail.com
Tue Aug 17 23:28:02 EDT 2010

On 17/08/10 09:23, Ionuț Bîru wrote:
> On 08/17/2010 05:14 AM, Evangelos Foutras wrote:
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> I've been using mplayer-vaapi [1] with my Radeon HD 4200 IGP for a
>> couple of months now and I think it's a very useful package. Recently,
>> its maintainer in the AUR dropped it because he switched to libvdpau.
>> So, I've been thinking of adopting it and moving it to [community].
>>
>> I haven't done anything yet, as I'm a bit unsure of whether I should
>> go forward with the move. On one hand, a binary package for
>> mplayer-vaapi is included in the unofficial, but well maintained,
>> catalyst repo [2], but on the other hand it still is a useful package
>> and it only has an additional dependency on libva (available in
>> [extra]) compared to the straight mplayer package; it'd be nice to
>> have it in [community].
>
> Thomas would be very happy to have this in our repos. :) I don't have
> any particular issues with it but this open a road in which we allowed
> patched applications in our repos.

I see your point, but it's an important feature for the people that want
it (me included) and the package footprint is around 8-9 MiB, so I
believe it's worth having in our repos! :>

Hopefully, in the future these patches will be included in the main
mplayer source code and this package will be made redundant.

For the moment, I have gone ahead and uploaded mplayer-vaapi to
[community], based on your mplayer PKGBUILD. :)

> This patch wasn't accepted upstream by mplayer devs yet.
>

>> On an semi-related note, I was also thinking of moving xvba-video to
>> [community] as well, but it depends on the catalyst package which has
>> a very complicated PKGBUILD (i.e. manual installation of every file).
>> Therefore, I don't have any plans to mess with that for now. :P
>>

> Did catalyst resolved the issues that we had with it some time ago?
> If yes catalyst should be repacked properly if you want it in repos,
> like nvidia is.

I'm not exactly sure what the situation with the Catalyst driver is. I'm
using a package for it from the [catalyst] repo, and it's working pretty
well. However, the PKGBUILD in the AUR looks pretty scary. :P

I might have a look at it at some point, as I wouldn't mind maintaining
it if I was able to figure it out.