[aur-general] Shall I move mplayer-vaapi to [community]?

Vi0L0 vi0l093 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 18 18:15:42 EDT 2010

On Wednesday 18 August 2010, at 05:28:02, Evangelos Foutras
<foutrelis at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm not exactly sure what the situation with the Catalyst driver is. I'm
> using a package for it from the [catalyst] repo, and it's working pretty
> well. However, the PKGBUILD in the AUR looks pretty scary. :P
>
> I might have a look at it at some point, as I wouldn't mind maintaining
> it if I was able to figure it out.

Well it could look kinda scary, but it's very usefull especially when you are
using more than one, stock kernel. Plus i believe that idea of 'automatic
recompilation of fglrx module when kernel upadate' is very good, and yes - i
know it's bypassing arch way - so it's optionall. Also MrElendig said that
this new catalyst package could be not safe - ie. when building of fglrx
module fails, so [catalyst] repo is providing package called catalyst-module-
only (with module for stock kernel) so users with compilation problems could
use it.

Actually i can provide you nvidia-like catalyst and catalyst-utils pkgbuilds
in minutes, but like i said catalyst isn't ready for landing in official repo.
You would have to remove it very quickly, because arch can't wait with
kernel/xserver updates for months just because of one, poor supported, blob.

--
Greetz
Vi0L0