[aur-general] Non-native English speakers and the AUR by-laws [WAS: removal proposal for Ranguvar]

Xyne xyne at archlinux.ca
Sun Dec 5 03:11:28 CET 2010

PyroPeter wrote:

> On 12/05/2010 12:44 AM, Ng Oon-Ee wrote:
> >>
> >> The bylaws are what empower us to act upon and make decisions - it's
> >> not about following the laws word by word. Without them, we wouldn't
> >> take ourselves seriously :)
> >>
> >> Granted, the wording can be a little too formal for non-English
> >> speakers. Perhaps there should be some translations for it?
> >
> > That's my take on it as well. Translations would not end however,
> > simplification may be better.
> >

> I also find the bylaws difficult to understand, but maybe it would
> be easier to convert them into a flowchart?

$ rmtu Ranguvar
error: This removal is not in accordance with the TU by-laws.

$ sudo rmtu Ranguvar
removing Ranguvar... done.

I'm halfway tempted to create the flowchart but I just don't have the time. If
someone wants to adapt the dot file from the Arch Linux Help Guide Flowchart,
feel free:

http://xyne.archlinux.ca/miscellaneous/#the-arch-linux-help-guide-flowchart

Make sure that "Blame Allan" is in there somewhere (Was quorum reached? --no-->
Blame Allan --> etc)

For what it's worth, I agree that the by-laws should be followed, even if the
outcome is clear. Out of 28 TUs less than a third participated in the
"discussion".

If you don't like the by-laws then propose a change. If we start picking and
choosing which ones apply and to whom, then what's the point of having by-laws
at all?