[aur-general] Tarball Guidelines

Thorsten Töpper atsutane at freethoughts.de
Mon Dec 6 17:35:33 CET 2010

On Mon, 6 Dec 2010 07:32:51 +0100 Lukáš Jirkovský
<l.jirkovsky at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6 December 2010 03:42, keenerd <keenerd at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Thanks for all the input.  I'm pushing the posts now and it should
> > be done in a few hours.  For now it is just doing a single pass,
> > but in the future I'll set it up to track the RSS.
> >
> > There is a lot of fun stuff in the AUR.  More stats later.  For now,
> > here is my favorite:
> >
> > 472 packages had a single PNG.  1 package had 100 PNGs.
> >
> > For more fun, try to find the bot.  He's tagging 4% of packages, so
> > it should not be too hard.
> >
> > -Kyle
> > http://kmkeen.com
> >

> I just got spammed by your bot. You should really omit the warning for
> png's. It should be easy to change your script only to check whether
> file output contains "ELF", "executable" or "shared object". To
> paraphrase your message "I think you can do better."
>
> Anyway, this makes me think that the current AUR guidelines should be
> more clear about this issue. To be more precise I mean this part:
>
> After logging in to the AUR web interface, a user can submit a gzipped
> tarball (.tar.gz) of a directory containing build files for a package.
> The directory inside the tarball should contain a PKGBUILD, any
> .install files, patches, etc. (ABSOLUTELY no binaries).
>
> I'm pretty sure binaries originally referred to executables and
> libraries (which are in fact executables). My proposal is to change
> this sentence accordingly. Either use "ABSOLUTELY no executables" or
> "ABSOLUTELY no binaries except for icons."
>
> Also it should be mentioned in Arch Packaging Standards.
>
> opinions?

Hm yes that sounds far more elegant than the proposal I wrote this
morning and sent just a couple of minutes ago.

--
Jabber: atsutane at freethoughts.de Blog: http://atsutane.freethoughts.de/
Key: 295AFBF4     FP: 39F8 80E5 0E49 A4D1 1341 E8F9 39E4 F17F 295A FBF4