[aur-general] [deletion request] python-restkit

Rémy Oudompheng remyoudompheng at gmail.com
Sun Apr 3 16:01:42 EDT 2011

Hello,

On 2011/4/3 Baptiste <zerstorer at free.fr> wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 3, 2011 at 07:22, Rémy Oudompheng <remyoudompheng at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Why delete restkit-git if there is no replacement for it? Was it
>> broken? How do I know how to create python2-restkit-git if I need it?
>> Why didn't you create it yourself?
>
> By out-of-date, I also meant broken : those two packages were not
> working anymore because of the py3k transition.
> I didn't create the -git package simply because I don't need it : the
> release frequency is high enough for me to stay up-to-date with the
> latest changes without using the git repo.
>
>> +1. These should not be deleted just for naming conventions, unless
>> there is another package in conflict with it. I know the packages work
>> since I use py-restkit almost daily.
>
> As I said, it was not _only_ naming convention ;)
> I guess you were not using any of the two deleted packages, since they
> were broken.

Being broken is still not a reason to delete a package, especially if
it can be fixed. Users may want to see the comments explaining why the
package is broken and how to fix it. But we may delete packages that
are provably and irremediably broken.

However, renaming a package can be a good reason, if the current
maintainer agrees and if the package with a new name is uploaded at
the same time.

>> Since they've already been deleted, Baptiste, can you upload proper
>> replacements?
>
> I've just uploaded `python2-restkit-git'. Sorry for the trouble.

Thank you.

Regards,
Rémy.