[aur-general] Bash scripts in tarball

Martti Kühne mysatyre at gmail.com
Sun Dec 9 04:28:08 EST 2012

On Sun, Dec 9, 2012 at 8:24 AM, Johannes Löthberg <kyrias at archlinux.info> wrote:
> [...]
> Hello,
>
> Thank you, I just wanted to get something black-on-white to point the
> maintainer of https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/popular-packages/ to.
>
> He was requested by an TU to not bundle the source in the tarball a
> month ago and I told him again yesterday that you're not allowed to, and
> his response was that it wasn't written anywhere that it wasn't allowed
> and he "reminded me that I'm not a TU"

In that case you're really making much noise out of nothing really
useful. The user we're talking about here may be too arch-focused to
consider alternative hosting and/or may not be interested or confident
in learning how to use a vcs. I'd say let him learn at his pace and
think about how you might support with a bit more constructive
critism, like suggesting a free vcs hoster like github or bitbucket.

Your argument, where what the user did is "against the AUR guidelines"
is wrong in a sense that something which is frowned upon is not
against the rules.

cheers!
mar77i