[aur-general] A TU keeps removing harmless and relevant comments from my package's webpage

Xyne xyne at archlinux.ca
Sun Dec 16 09:32:06 EST 2012

On 2012-12-15 19:52 -0500
Dave Reisner wrote:

>On Sun, Dec 16, 2012 at 11:22:25AM +1100, Xavion wrote:
>> Dear TUs & Devs,
>>
>> For obvious reasons, I decided to add the following comment to my
>> popular-packages
>> <https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/popular-packages/>webpage on the
>> AUR recently: "As I'm the author of this little script, I
>> will always want it to remain in the AUR".

This is something that comes up from time to time. In general, a TU (or dev)
should ask the current maintainer before moving a package from the AUR to a
repo. This has been considered common courtesy as long as I've been here at
least. There is nevertheless no real obligation to do so and everyone should
understand that uploading a package to the AUR is sharing it with the
community. Digging your claws into it and calling it your "precious" is not
really in line with the spirit of the AUR.

It is understandable to want to maintain a package when you are also the
upstream developer. In general I think we encourage this and I doubt that any
TU or dev would insist on moving such a package against the developer's wishes,
so I think your comments are unnecessary and inappropriate. That said, I do not
agree that they should have been deleted and I feel that a TU has clearly
abused his privileges.

I also find it ironic that you are so adamant that others respect your wishes
regarding your package while you flagrantly disregard official guidelines for
packages on the AUR along with strong official recommendations from several
TUs. Given how visible your infringing package has now become I will say this
clearly: if you do not remove the script from your package then the package will
be deleted. Others have already suggested free online hosting for your script
so you have no excuse to keep it in the tarball.

>It would be equally great if our TUs would refrain some such childish
>actions and recall what the 'T' stands for.

Wait, doesn't the 'T' stand for "Troll"? Or was it "Tyrannical"? "Touchy"?

Silliness aside, I hope that the responsible TU will step forward and admit to
abusing his AUR privileges.

I'll get the hot coals ready.

Regards,
Xyne