[aur-general] Merge packages

Jonathan Arnold jdarnold at buddydog.org
Fri Jan 18 12:20:01 EST 2013

On Fri, 18 Jan 2013 13:33:43 -0200
Hilton Medeiros <medeiros.hilton at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 01/17/2013 10:44 PM, Evangelos Foutras wrote:
> > On 18/01/13 02:36, Jonathan Arnold wrote:
> >> I've created a new package[1], source-code-pro-fonts for Adobe's
> >> Source Code Pro font that includes both the TTF and OTF files. Can
> >> you merge and delete the otf-source-code-pro[2] and
> >> ttf-source-code-pro[3] packages with it? The otf-source-code-pro
> >> maintainer and I discussed it on the otf-source-code-pro package
> >> page and he's good with that.
> >>
> >> [1] https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/source-code-pro-fonts/
> >> [2] https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/otf-source-code-pro/notify/
> >> [3] https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/ttf-source-code-pro/
> > Done, thanks.
>
> Hello,
>
> the new package 'source-code-pro-fonts' installs both TTF and OTF.
> With both installed how do I know which one will be used by default
> on GNOME and other applications?
> We have lots of ttf- and otf- packages on AUR, and I thought we had
> good reason for that. Is this a new way to package fonts?

I was the maintainer for the ttf-source-code-pro package and noticed
that Adobe had started to put both the OTF and the TTF together in the
same zip file, so I figured it would be okay to install both.

Further investigation tells me that some apps only want to use TTF,
while most will use OTF if it is there or TTF otherwise. However, I was
not able to uncover what happens if both are there and which one an app
might use or even how to tell an app to use one instead of the other.
Or if it makes any difference.

As they are released simultaneously in the same file, it is easier to
keep one package up to date. And I did ask on the otf package if it
would be okay and/or better to just combine them. But if there is a
sound techical reason for having 2 different packages, we could go back
to that easily enough.

--
Jonathan Arnold        Webstream: http://hieronymus.soup.io

Talent wins games, but team work and intelligence wins championships.
Michael Jordan