[aur-general] Easy way to find out package dependencies

oliver oliver at first.in-berlin.de
Sun Mar 3 10:16:23 EST 2013

On Sun, Mar 03, 2013 at 04:06:18AM -0500, Daniel Micay wrote:

> > This would only work if there is some kind of already existing PGKBUILD,
> > but I think he tries to write one from scratch for a software not yet in
> > the official repos or the AUR.
> >
> > Using namcap and elf2pkgs is then the best solution to figure out the
> > corresponding packages in the repos.
> >
> > HTH,
> > Christoph
> >

> Well, the way I interpreted this was that he was already able to put
> it together, and was wondering how to find the dependencies without
> ldd and guesswork:
>
> > Say, i want to write the PKGBUILD for a package,
         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> > and the compilation on my system (.7configure/cmake and make)
> > does work without problems.

The ./configure or cmake followed by make,
as described in the README/INSTALL of a source package.

> > Then I don't get a message about missing libraries.
> > So, it's easy to compile the stuff, but needs some
> > effort to find out the dependencies.

I don't get a message, if the needed libs are installed,
but I have to figure out, which must be inserted into the
PKGBUILD.

Hope, that clarifies my intent.

If a package really is missing, this (hoipefully) will be reported
clearly. In this case, it's easier to figure out whats missing.

Ciao,
   Oliver