[aur-general] replacing packages with split packages: how to merge?

Xyne xyne at archlinux.ca
Sat Aug 16 14:00:48 EDT 2014

Hi,

Is there a standard procedure for replacing packages with split packages while
preserving votes?

For example, lets say there are two normal packages in the AUR, "foo-bar" and
"foo-baz". foo-bar has 20 votes, foo-baz has 15.

The maintainer realizes that he can produce both packages using a split package
"foo", but name collision detection will prevent him from uploading foo if it
contains foo-bar or foo-baz, which must be deleted first.

If they are deleted, the votes are lost.

At first I thought that the pkgbase could be uploaded without anything in the
pkgnames array as a placeholder for merging, but that would lump all the votes
into the pkgbase and not the individual packages.

Am I missing something?

If not then it seems that we need some sort of pending merge queue.

Thoughts?

Regards,
Xyne