[aur-general] requesting a critique for my build of xen-git-4.5.0-rc3

Ivan Shapovalov intelfx100 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 17 03:56:20 UTC 2014

On Tuesday, December 16, 2014 at 06:54:34 PM, Doug McMillan wrote:

> > Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2014 16:54:04 +0100
> > From: marcel.korpel at gmail.com
> > To: aur-general at archlinux.org
> > Subject: Re: [aur-general] requesting a critique for my build of xen-git-4.5.0-rc3
> > Please rework the PKGBUILD and post it at Github gist or Pastebin, so
> > it's easy for all of us to have a look at it.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Marcel
> >
> > [1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/VCS_PKGBUILD_Guidelines
> > [2]
> > https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/gt/gtk-engine-murrine-git/PKGBUILD
> > [3] this will be changed in the (near?) future, when pacman supports
> > the generation of .SRCINFO files
>
> Thank you for the critique. I have fixed the name, changed from manual to automated git, switched frommd5 to sha256, enclosed all variable containing directories to be in " ", cleaned up the 2 unnecessary directory changes.
> I have posted the updated PKGBUILD at http://pastebin.com/j0MTRciV
> I have updated the sourceforge files also. There I have created the source package with mkaurball.

Hi Doug,

a few other nitpicky comments:

- doing `unset CFLAGS` *after* make looks pointless, especially given that
  you also have !buildflags in your options=()
- "xen::git+git://" looks redundant, just "git://" will suffice (because
  the name of the repository is already "xen")
- messages with lots of "====" seem awkward -- makepkg already highlights messages;
  you may try to use "msg2" instead of "msg" to have them in different color
- are you sure that exports from package() have effect on build()? I'd rather
  create a separate function and call it from build() and maybe package()

Otherwise, the PKGBUILD is pretty good AFAICS.

Cheers,
--
Ivan Shapovalov / intelfx /