[aur-general] 2 merge requests

Ivan Shapovalov intelfx100 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 17 14:26:14 EST 2014

On Friday 17 January 2014 at 18:43:27, Maciej wrote:
> W dniu 17.01.2014 05:25, Felix Yan pisze:
> > On Tuesday, January 14, 2014 17:08:24 Maciej Sieczka wrote:
> >> I adopted 2 packages - grass-geos and grass-trunk. Can I request merging
> >> them into my grass64 and grass70-svn, respectively? Original maintainers
> >> (CCed) are OK with this.
> >
> > Merged grass-geos into grass64.
>
> Kewl!
>
> > There's already a package named grass7-svn, should we consider grass70-svn
> > a dup if there's not much difference?
>
> grass70-svn is more feature rich [1], doesn't mess with the source code
> to enforce python2, but uses a (more) fool-proof trick [2] that also
> supports GRASS Python addons without extra patching, handles
> FORTIFY_SOURCE CPPFLAGS issue at configure more gracefully etc. It even
> has a nicer 64 pix icon ;).
>
> All my other GRASS packages (grass64, grass64-rc, grass64-svn,
> grass65-svn) use a similar, consistent set of build options.
>
> They don't conflict with each other at installation time (they normally
> would) to have full spectrum of stable and devel GRASS versions
> alongside for daily work and for easy access to new features, and bug
> hunting.
>
> I advertised them on the official GRASS GIS download page [3]. There've
> been no complaints.
>
> I used to be a proffesional GRASS user, and a contributor a bit as well,
> for some years. I still keep an eye on the project for a hobby.
>
> I would like to keep maintaining a complete suit of GRASS packages, if
> this doesn't pose a problem for anyone.
>
> > btw, please include links to packages next time, thanks.
>
> Right.
>
> Maciek
>
> [1] liblas, netcdf, odbc, openmp, pthreads
> [2] https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/gr/grass70-svn/PKGBUILD.
> [3] http://grass.osgeo.org/download/software/linux/

Hi!

Just a side-note of a side-walker :)
One of the most sophisticated/commented PKGBUILDs I've seen (the most
sophisticated is core/linux, of course)...

- it's better to use prepare() for patching and so on, so in build() there is
only ./configure and make calls;
- you could use $( ... ) instead of ` ... `. Bash lists the latter as old-
style, however, this is non-critical, just more uptodate and beautiful IMO;
- I'd rather use sed on an installed copy of the *.desktop file: patching
source files in package() can (theoretically) break multiple repackagings with
`makepkg -R`.

Cheers!

--
Ivan Shapovalov / intelfx /