[aur-general] Compiz package naming

Colin Robinson beardedlinuxgeek at gmail.com
Thu Jul 31 14:20:09 EDT 2014

We had this conversation 4 months ago where I said we should name
compiz-core-devel -> compiz and compiz-core-bzr -> compiz-bzr but
alucryd insisted on the naming scheme that currently exists.

---

In regards to compiz-core-devel:

Comment by beardedlinuxgeek 2014-04-02 06:55
"If you want to rename the package, it should just be compiz. The latest
release is 9.10; this package is for the latest release"

Comment by alucryd 2014-04-02 07:25
"beardedlinuxgeek: Wrong, the latest stable branch is 0.8.x, the 0.9.x
branch is unstable. Now you may want to have a look at our official
repositories and see that unstable releases have a -devel suffix.
Now, I realize compiz-devel would be a better name since all its parts
have been merged, but I think it's nice to have all main compiz packages
share the same name with different suffixes (compiz-core,
compiz-core-devel, compiz-core-bzr)."

---

In regards to compiz-core-bzr:

Comment by alucryd 2014-04-01 08:1
"Merged a few bzr packages into this one. Could you upload it as
'compiz-core-bzr', all other distros use the 'compiz-core' name. I'll do
the merge afterwards."

Comment by beardedlinuxgeek 2014-04-02 07:39
"This package isn't compiz-core. It's compiz-core + all the plugins +
ccsm + the gtk decorator + the kde decorator. Take a look at the
components (http://releases.compiz.org/components/), compiz-core is just
one of 17 packages. This package, on the other hand, is all of them"

---

So obviously I support korrode's new naming scheme of changing things
back to how they were originally named. It doesn't matter to me if you
rename compiz-core to compiz-legacy-core or compiz0.8-core, but the word
"core" needs to be dropped from all the 0.9x packages.