[aur-general] Removing godep-git (no)

Sauyon Lee sauyonl at sauyon.com
Fri May 23 05:22:21 EDT 2014

On Fri, May 23, 2014 at 2:13 AM, Johannes Dewender <arch at jonnyjd.net> wrote:

> Am 23.05.2014 06:46, schrieb Sauyon Lee:
>
>> I recently uploaded a sadly very broken PKGBUILD to the AUR and named it
>> godep-git.
>>
>> However, after reading the packaging guidelines, I've decided that it
>> really should be just "godep," as the project has no releases, so I'm
>> going
>> to be uploading a working PKGBUILD under that name in a (hopefully) short
>> amount of time.
>>

> Your package seems to have been deleted already, but I disagree:
>
> If your PKGBUILD always builds the current git version (using git) then it
> should be named godep-git. If they start making releases another package
> "godep" can be created (without using git).
>
> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/go/godep/PKGBUILD
> *is* a git package.
>
> You should at least force a specific git hash or tag to make it a stable
> package.
>
> --
> JonnyJD

As noted on
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Go_Package_Guidelines#Naming, most go
packages would end up becoming VCS packages, and having suffixes for no
reason is a bit of a pain.

My main reasoning for not forcing a specific hash is that it would do
nothing but make packaging more difficult, as the likelihood of an official
package for a golang binary is rather slim simply because of the utility of
the 'go get' command.