[aur-general] Package promotion process

Daniel Micay danielmicay at gmail.com
Fri Nov 28 17:58:25 UTC 2014

On 28/11/14 12:47 PM, Troy Engel wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 28, 2014 at 11:38 AM, Daniel Micay <danielmicay at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 28/11/14 12:32 PM, Dave Reisner wrote:
>>>
>>> It shall never return.
>>
>> Never say never, the rules could be revisited one day :P. It makes sense
>> to forbid automatic installation, but it's a bit silly to forbid search
>> / downloading from the AUR when we permit it for other third party
>> dumping grounds like PyPi.
>>

> Yeah, I mean no offense to the current rule, but AUR is a fantastic
> part of Arch and not having *anything* which can install an AUR
> package in Community seems... disingenuous to the adoption of AUR from
> a fresh install. I understand this can be a political battle ("which
> AUR helper is best") but cower sure seems like a great candidate to
> just help people get started.
>
> $0.02,
> -te

Not having a way to install an AUR package draws a clear line between
supported packages and unsupported ones. Anyone can upload an AUR
package so pretending it's anything but untrusted, totally arbitrary
code would be dangerous.

However, cower *does not* support installing AUR packages, only
downloading and searching them. That's why I think we could revisit this
rule in the future and refine it.

However, the status quo is that it's not permitted in [community].