[aur-general] How do you deal with pkgver() & version controlled PKGBUILDs?

Jashandeep Sohi jashandeep.s.sohi at gmail.com
Fri Feb 13 03:11:24 UTC 2015

Hi,

I'm using git to version control my PKGBUILDs. Most of them build
stable versions of packages using a static pkgver; however, some of
them build unstable versions (from git, hg, etc.), and make use of the
pkgver() function to compute a pkgver on build time.

The problem that I'm having is that whenever I build one of the
unstable packages,  the value of pkgver in the PKGBUILD get updated by
pkgver(), which causes Git to think that the file has changed. If I
ever want to commit changes to the PKGBUILD, I first have to change
pkgver back to what it was to prevent spurious changes to pkgver to
committed as well.

I know I'm being pedantic, but if someone has already thought of a
solution/fix, that would appreciated.

Thanks,
Jashandeep Sohi