[aur-general] Blob size limit in AUR4 for custom kernels

Florian Pritz bluewind at xinu.at
Sun May 24 11:53:24 UTC 2015

On 24.05.2015 11:07, Nicolas Iooss wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am currently maintaining a Linux kernel with a custom configuration in
> AUR [1] and when I tried to migrate it to AUR4 today, "git push" failed
> with:
>
>   remote: error: The following error occurred when parsing commit
>   remote: error: 94ed5186e25ac1d459ae13d3ab0fbccc401ff225:
>   remote: error: maximum blob size (100kB) exceeded
>   remote: error: hook declined to update refs/heads/master
>
> Indeed, in base linux package [2], the files config and config.x86_64
> are larger than 100 kB (they are approx. 179 kB), so I need some kind of
> trick to be able to move to AUR4 (e.g. storing the kernel config on
> GitHub).  It may be the reason why no custom kernel has yet moved to
> AUR4 (I tried to find some from the results of a search with category
> "kernels" keywords "linux" [3] in AUR4 without any success).
>
> How are maintainers supposed to deal with such packages which are
> derived from official packages that contains files too big to fit AUR4
> requirements?

Lukas is away until June 1st.

I only learned about git namespaces yesterday and we didn't have time to
talk about them, but I believe they could greatly decrease used space in
our setup (currently each repo is stored separately I believe) and
therefore increase the limits. Sadly the code uses pygit2 quite a bit
and I don't know if it's possible to support namespaces there.

I guess for now you should wait until Lukas is back.