[aur-general] [aur-dev] [PRQ#4382] Deletion Request for b43-firmware

Mark Weiman mark.weiman at markzz.com
Sat Nov 21 17:27:45 UTC 2015

On Sat, 2015-11-21 at 18:31 +1100, Xavion wrote:
> If we wish to continue using the word "file" in this context, "File
> Request" should be changed to "File a Request".  This would prevent
> native
> English speakers from misinterpreting our use of "file" as a noun.

As a native English speaker, I have never misinterpreted the meaning of
that link.  There are plenty of words in the English language that have
multiple meanings and it doesn't prevent me or others from confusing
the intent.

> Having said that, I still feel that "lodge" is a more appropriate
> term in
> this situation.  The main reason, and I hope you're concentrating
> this time
> Mark, is that there's no double meaning (i.e. noun vs verb).

Lodge also has a noun and verb meaning.  As a noun, it is a temporary
home and as a verb, it can also mean to live in a temporary home.  By
your logic, this makes the word even worse of a choice.

> For people who don't like "Lodge a Request", there's always "Make a
> Request".  In fact, I imagine most similar websites would use the
> latter
> term in preference to either of the two mentioned alternatives.
> Regardless, clinging to the textbook and saying that nothing needs to
> be
> changed is too rigid and impractical.  We're not doing a maths test
> here!
> This is all about practicality and cutting down on confusion.

Furthermore, I am a firm believer of reading documentation and the Arch
Wiki has a spot on the Arch User Repository page that explains how to
file requests [1] and how to grab the PKGBUILDs then how to install
them [2].  If the link is changed, I think Jiachen Yang has a better

Mark Weiman

[1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_User_Repository#Other_req
[2] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_User_Repository#Installin

More information about the aur-general mailing list