[aur-general] PKGBUILD review request: libdime-hg

Eli Schwartz eschwartz93 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 31 14:26:28 UTC 2016

On 07/31/2016 02:52 AM, Alessandro Menti wrote:
> Hi Eli,
> thanks for the review.
> [...]
> which suggests the tarball originally released by the authors was a
> nightly release (incidentally, r187 corresponds to the current hg "tip").
>
> Regarding the pkgver, I think using the ISO 8601 "reversed date" might be
> acceptable in this particular case.

It would be, but personally I prefer revision number, so I would use
"r187" myself. This tells the user how much has changed, rather than
when it changed (maybe more relevant in the context of
${tag}.r${revisions}.${_commit} as output by `git describe` for things
likely to get more commits, but I still like it regardless).

> I've attached the revised PKGBUILD below - let me know if you have any
> further observations.

I do have a couple last style nits.

> ----- The PKGBUILD follows: --------------------------------------------
> # Maintainer: Alessandro Menti <alessandro dot menti at hotmail dot it>
> pkgname=libdime

Most people put a line of whitespace separating the "# Maintainer:" line
from the main body of the PKGBUILD. In a similar way to separating the
variables from the pkgver/prepare/build/check/package functions (and the
functions from each other).

> pkgver=20111205

As I said above, by personal preference I would use "r187".

> depends=('gcc-libs')

gcc-libs is part of the base group, and therefore all Arch Linux systems
are expected to have it installed. I am not sure why there are any
packages that (seemingly unnecessarily, except in the case of e.g. gcc
which *needs* to depend on the same ${pkgver}-${pkgrel}) depend on it,
but surely that isn't an excuse to further clutter up the pacman
database with unneeded dependency chains...

> source=("https://bitbucket.org/Coin3D/dime/get/${_commit}.tar.gz")

I usually reuse the ${url} variable here if possible, but that isn't
really terribly important. I think it looks nicer though, because it
highlights the relationship between the homepage and the source code
download location.

--
Eli Schwartz