[aur-general] Questions before submitting my first package

Henk te Sligte henk at hjts.nl
Sun Jul 31 17:21:40 UTC 2016

Hi all,

I noticed in the archlinux general mailing list that a package has been
removed from community because the maintainer wasn't active anymore, but
the package was not moved to AUR. I decided that this might be a nice
first step in becoming a package maintainer in the AUR. But I have a few
questions before I submit something that would be below the AUR
standards. By the way, the package is called Dasher [1].

The last stable release (4.11) of Dasher is from six years ago. However,
the package seems to be maintained, the last commit to the Gnome hosted
repository [2] is two weeks ago. So I presume it would be the smartest
to release it from git. But then the package would be called dasher-git,
I presume?
I can also go back a few commits before, to 5.0 beta, but that doesn't
build. That has been fixed a commit later. What commit would you use to
publish the package?

I can also just copy and paste the PKGBUILD from svntogit [3] before it
was removed from community, that uses the latest alpha build, but to me
it makes more sense to go to either beta (which doesn't build) or the
latest from master.

I hope some experienced AUR maintainers can give me their thoughts about
this to make my first AUR package a success.

Greetings,
Henk te Sligte

[1] http://www.inference.phy.cam.ac.uk/dasher/
[2] https://git.gnome.org/browse/dasher/