[aur-general] Questions before submitting my first package

Eli Schwartz eschwartz93 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 31 18:00:22 UTC 2016

On 07/31/2016 01:21 PM, Henk te Sligte wrote:
> The last stable release (4.11) of Dasher is from six years ago. However,
> the package seems to be maintained, the last commit to the Gnome hosted
> repository [2] is two weeks ago. So I presume it would be the smartest
> to release it from git. But then the package would be called dasher-git,
> I presume?
> I can also go back a few commits before, to 5.0 beta, but that doesn't
> build. That has been fixed a commit later. What commit would you use to
> publish the package?

Well, there is nothing wrong with publishing a *-git package as well,
certainly. Some people like the stable releases, some people like
pulling from git HEAD.

In general, you should go with whatever upstream tagged as a release,
but in cases where upstream isn't really publishing releases and there
are changes you want, IMHO the maintainer can go with whatever they feel
is best.

e.g. the trash-cli package in community, which I maintained for a while
in the AUR before Pierre Neidhardt adopted it in the repos. Upstream
development is more or less dead, so I was just grabbing the most recent
commit directly, and resolved to update it every once in a while if I
felt there was something new worth it (not that there was, really).

--
Eli Schwartz