[aur-general] When to make a separate package.

beest gnubeest at zoho.com
Sat Oct 7 00:44:55 UTC 2017

On Fri, Oct 06, 2017 at 11:41:29PM +0000, Mikael Blomstrand via aur-general wrote:
> Hi! I just started playing around with making my own PKGBUILDs and just
> made one for the "*remarkable*" markdown editor. The problem with
> *remarkable* is that it uses webkitgtk. I was able to find a PR to the
> official project fixing this and I used this patch in my PKGBUILD. I
> uploaded the packet as *remarkable-webkit2gtk*. I'm now rethinking if this
> was the correct approach or if I should have just adopted the existing
> packet. (Which is orphaned.)
>
> My thought was that since the patch have not been incorporated into the
> official project, I shouldn't taint the pure *remarkable* package. Am I
> being overconsiderate?
>
> In general is this something people care about?

Normally I'd tell someone to absolutely make it a separate package, but
considering that webkitgtk is no longer in the repos for good
reason and I wouldn't recommend anyone use software that requires it, I
don't think it would have been a horrible crime to adopt remarkable with
the added patch. In practice, however, It would have become a problem if it
never gets upstreamed and the patch somehow ended up broken and
unmaintainable, so there's that.