[aur-general] AUR rate limiting

Drew DeVault sir at cmpwn.com
Thu Dec 20 19:23:40 UTC 2018

Following up from IRC. Hello!

I run a public build service which has Arch Linux support and uses yay
to install AUR packages when requested. I recently had some users
running up against the AUR rate limit.

The current rate limit window (1 day) seems a bit strict. Would it be
possible to apply the rate limit hourly? Today it's 4000 requests per
day, but ~166 requests per hour would be a similar load on the server
but a bit more forgiving, users would only have to wait an hour before
attempting their builds again.

The long term solution is probably to mirror the AUR or adjust the
approach to try and minimize API requests (perhaps by cloning the repos
and sorting out dependencies by sourcing the PKGBUILDs.... would be a
bit involved).

Any thoughts or advice?

--
Drew DeVault