[aur-general] TU (re-)Application

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Mon Feb 12 12:52:31 UTC 2018

On 02/12/2018 04:36 AM, Christian Rebischke via aur-general wrote:
> Hello everybody,
> I kind of feel uncomfortable with this. I think that somebody who has
> resigned, is not able to sign his mails and seems to ignore requests of
> doing so, should apply over the normal way like all others do. That
> would just be fair to all newcomers. If I get this right there is no
> reliable verification possible for his identity. We should really add a
> rule for re-application in our TU-Bylaws.

This whole thing is getting mildly elitist. I think Brad has proven to
everyone's satisfaction that he is who he says he is. And there is a
reason he was elected in the past. With that in mind, I'd like to
propose the following plan of action just to cover all our bases.

Brad, please create a new AUR account, as you will need one to interact
with the AUR for various TU duties if you are re-elected. (This is
independent of whether you maintain *any* packages in the AUR, which I
hope you will anyway, not that every current TU does).

Please start signing your emails with a PGP key, it is good practice,
and we will need your PGP key for the keyring and so forth if you get
re-elected.

Following which, I formally announce that on my prerogative as a TU, I
am sponsoring Brad as a new TU applicant whether he needs it or not.
The standard discussion period will commence from the time that email is
sent.

To whom it may concern: if a bunch of people decided someone has the
necessary skills 7 years ago, those skills will not vanish because of
time. Our standards are hardly super high anyway, and Brad's skills as a
packager can be judged relatively easily, by taking a look at his TU
packaging history at
https://git.archlinux.org/svntogit/community.git/log/?qt=author&q=bfanella
(I've looked, he seems to have done just fine. Yay!)

It is pretty easy to get up to date on actually relevant changes which
mostly boil down to "use the standard pacman hooks if possible, now that
pacman has hook support".

I do *not* feel comfortable expecting or demanding that Brad maintain a
few packages in the AUR first, unless we want to make the same rule
about currently active TUs. This application requirement is meant to be
an assessment of one's capabilities, which as a TU Fellow is not in
question.

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User