[aur-general] Special Removal of an Inactive TU: speps

Thorsten Toepper atsutane at freethoughts.de
Thu Jan 18 21:52:34 UTC 2018

On 18.01.2018 22:11, Eli Schwartz via aur-general wrote:
> On 01/18/2018 04:05 PM, Thorsten Toepper wrote:
>> First of all: Congratulations for becoming a TU, you should have applied
>> sooner so I could've given you my "yes". :-)
>
> Thanks! :)
>
>> Rephrasing the bylaw to something like
>>
>> "performed any action that required TU privileges on the AUR
>> (*excluding* participation in votes for there is below rule)"
>>
>> would solve the problem, that TUs may only act in the absolute
>> background of participation votes, yet not taking care of any binary
>> packages or AUR package management any more.
>
> I would definitely agree that we need to clarify the bylaws on this
> point, and I'll probably propose something soon.
>
> I'm not sure what that means we should do about the current vote though.

My idea last night was that the unquestionable move would be to declare
the current results as something like "invalid"/"to be ignored" and
after the bylaw has been adjusted to repeat them. I can't see the state
of the quorum for the recent proposals, but as long as that wasn't in
any danger I'd say there is no real urge as everyone knows (or should
know) that the proposals and votes will be repeated afterwards in case
the situation does not change and speps or faidoc become more active again.

Alternatives that currently come to my mind are to either start
proposals based on the "normal" removal bylaw.

Or, the probably easier approach, that there is a public agreement of
multiple TUs on this list that the voting results are ignored until an
adjustment of the rule has been accepted and applied. In case they have
not become more active until the change becoming accepted the results
are acknowledged in retro perspective. This would give them themselves a
chance to act by either becoming more active, explaining what happened
or simply resigning and save all other TUs some time.

And now it's time for bed. Good night. :-)