[aur-general] kodi-devel-bin

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Mon Aug 12 18:18:06 UTC 2019

On 8/10/19 8:04 AM, Luca Weiss via aur-general wrote:
> Hi Pasha,
>
>> It looks like to me that all kodi-devel packages are named wrong. For
>> example kodi-devel-bin isn't binary package.
>
> It looks like kodi-devel-bin is a subpackage of kodi-devel which contains
> kodi-x11 and kodi-xrandr, just like the kodi-bin package on [community] which
> is also a subpackage of kodi. So in this case, it's not a package with
> prebuilt binaries but just a conincidence that the package suffix is the same as
> what is being used for marking packages with prebuilt binaries.

Incorrect.

kodi-devel-bin is the -devel version of community/kodi-bin, which means
that it should be named kodi-bin-devel.

It's no different from taking, say, systemd & systemd-libs, and turning
it into systemd-git and systemd-git-libs, which is also wrong... or
would be, except that systemd-git is better maintained. :)

This is aside for the fact that I find the name of the community package
"kodi-bin" to be strange, since it seems to be the x11 analogue to
"kodi-wayland".

@Ike,

I'm curious what made you choose to call it "kodi-bin" instead of what
seems to me like the more descriptive and accurate "kodi-x11". Perhaps
it might make sense to change the pkgname?

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User