[aur-general] TU membership application

Jean Lucas jean at 4ray.co
Sat Aug 17 18:49:43 UTC 2019

Hi Robin,

On Sat, 2019-08-17 at 10:13 +0200, Robin Broda via aur-general wrote:
> On 8/16/19 9:19 PM, Jean Lucas via aur-general wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > My name is Jean Lucas, and I'm sending this email to submit my
> > candidacy
> > for Trusted User member. As per the latest TU bylaws, I'm being
> > sponsored by both Alexander Rødseth and Sergej Pupykin.
>
> How many TUs did you ask for sponsorship, and how many declined?
> For the record, flacks has approached me a few weeks ago and asked
> for sponsorship.
> I had reviewed his PKGBUILDs and suggested many fixes at the time,
> and also explained that I do not think it is time yet to move forward
> with a TU application.
> I offered reviewing his future things, and helping with general
> mentoring,
> however it seems like my offer was not taken - instead you just found
> someone else
> to sponsor you without batting an eye... Off to a great start.

In totality, I asked 4 TUs - Alexander, Sergej, Alad, and you.
Alexander reached out to me about taking over my "swaybg" package, so
after a few chat sessions, he agreed to sponsor me. Sergej had taken
over my "coturn" package, so I reached out to him to review my profile,
and he also agreed to sponsor me. I reached out to Alad sometime in
between, but he never responded to my profile review request; and after
chatting with you and going over the various things you wanted me to
look into w.r.t. my packages, after a follow-up, you declined
sponsorship for the moment.

In your follow-up with me about a month and a half ago, I was happy you
let me know that you'd be checking up on my packages every now and then
to see whether their quality would improve without your intervention,
and that if I had any questions I could ask you. I know I could've
reached out to you more directly, but I did my best to get my packages
up to snuff - I'd been using your PKGBUILD review service, as you know,
for all my packages; over our first chats, you helped me resolve a few
of my doubts and mistakes; I reviewed a lot of documentation on the
wiki; I rebuilt everything making full use of clean chroots and namcap;
and I got help in the IRC/Matrix channels every so often. In fact, I
tried reaching out to you over IRC last Sunday, but alas, I probably
should have done so over email instead.

That said, I think its a bit unfair to say that I went off and found
another sponsor without batting an eye - asking Alexander and Sergej
seemed appropriate as they'd both adopted one of my packages, I had
worked with you to resolve some of my issues, I've gone over all of my
packages with a fine-toothed comb many times now, and got more help as
needed. I didn't suppose that having you decline sponsorship should
deter me from eventually applying until getting your approval. I regret
that we didn't have better communication, though.

> > If I were accepted to become a TU, I'd like to adopt and move the
> > following packages (all having over 10 votes in the AUR) from the
> > AUR
> > into [community]:
> >
> > anydesk, downgrade, exercism, flutter, godot, itch, mattermost-
> > desktop,
> > nvm, reaper, spotify, teamviewer, thermald, unity-editor, and
> > unityhub,
> > for starters!
>
> As explained by others, most of these cannot be moved.
> Have you talked to your sponsors about this? What have they said
> about this?

I did not discuss the moving of those packages with my sponsors. I was
hoping to get the community's feedback on the ideas.

> > Best regards,
> >
> > Jean Lucas
> >

> > [1] https://aur.archlinux.org/account/flacks
> > [2] https://aur.archlinux.org/cgit/aur.git/log/?h=ghidra-git
> >

> xyproto, sergej - have you reviewed this application before?
> Given that there hasn't been an ACK from any of you guys after the
> application was posted, i doubt it...

They did not review my application. I composed it all myself, for which
I take full responsibility. I had worked on their willingness to
sponsor me and sent what I considered to be a fair application ready
for community feedback.

Best regards,
Jean